With Quick Response (QR) codes you can easily accept payments from anywhere using the Invoice2go app. A QR code is a type of barcode that can be scanned using a mobile phone. You don’t need to email or print the invoice, saving you time and effort. Because they’re paying while they’re with you, you don’t need to worry about chasing up payments later.
iOS & Android
- In the Navigation Bar, tap the Invoices icon.
- Tap the invoice you want the customer to pay.
- Tap the Show QR code link.
- View the on-screen instructions and tap the Continue button.
- When the customer is ready to scan, tap the Yes, show QR code button.
- Ask the customer scan the QR code using their phone camera. After the code is scanned, a link will display on their phone screen.
- Ask the customer to tap the link. Their browser will open directly to Invoice2go's online payment portal, where they can easily make a secure payment. The online portal shows the invoice details and the amount to pay, so it’s quick for customers to pay you while you’re face to face.
Are QR code payments secure?
Yes, the QR code is just a direct link to the customer’s invoice on Invoice2go’s secure payment portal. All payments made on the portal are secured by 256-bit encryption.
What are the hardware and software requirements?
You don’t need special hardware to create or scan QR codes. You and your customer just need a smartphone with internet access. If your customer has a phone with one of the following operating systems, they can scan a QR code using the phone’s camera app:
- iOS 11 or later
- Android 9 or later
If your customer’s phone camera doesn’t support QR code scanning, they can install a QR code reader app from the iOS App Store or the Google Play Store.
Do my customer and I both need an internet connection?
Yes, both you and the customer will need to have an active internet connection on your devices. You can’t show the QR code unless you’re online. This ensures the QR code presents the most up-to-date information to the customer after they scan it. Your customer will need to have an internet connection to view the invoice details on the payment portal and to make an online payment.
To prevent potential risk issues, you and your customer must both be connected to different Wifi networks.
How does the customer pay?
The payment options that are displayed when they scan the QR code depend on which payment options you’ve turned on for the invoice. If you haven’t turned on any online payment options available in your country (such as Paypal, Stripe, Invoice2go Money Card Payments, or ACH transfers), they won’t be able to pay you online. They can still download a PDF of the invoice and you can organize an alternative payment method.
Can I take part-payments or deposits?
Yes! Your customer can pay as much of the invoice as they like or as you require.
Can I accept deposits on estimates?
No. QR codes are only available for invoice payments. We’re looking into providing estimate deposits in the future. Share your ideas for future development for Invoice2go.
Can I edit the invoice after the customer has scanned the QR code?
If you edit the invoice, the customer will need to scan the QR code again. To create an updated QR code for the customer to scan, tap the Show QR code link again after you’ve made your changes
If your customer is having trouble scanning a QR code, try the following steps:
- Make sure your phone screen is bright enough. If you’re in a bright environment or outside, try turning up the brightness on your device.
- Ask your customer to bring the phone closer or move back a little - the entire QR code should be visible and sharp in the camera’s viewfinder. If it’s too close or too far from the QR code, the camera might not be able to scan it.
- See if their camera lens needs cleaning. Clean off any smudges with a lens wipe or a soft, clean cloth.
- If the customer's phone camera doesn’t support QR code scanning, ask them to install a QR code reader app from the Google Play Store or iOS App Store.